Category: Kona Fire Mountain

Epic commute..

Had an absolute blast to work this morning on the Fire Mountain. Average of 18.3mph over 7.4 miles, max speed of 29.8, and 29 Strava trophies including a PB on all but three sections. Not bad considering it’s not an out-and-out speed machine. That was with a 20mph tailwind (hehe), and I think I’ll be making up for it on the way home – 40mph+ headwind from 18:00! Ouch. Pretty good reason to leave work on time, methinks!

Headset installation complete 

I realised pretty soon after starting this job, that the proper tools are needed to remove the headset cups.. same for the crown race.

So I resigned myself to not being able to remove the cups, But thought I’d have a look at whether the individual parts from the new and old headsets would play well together.

For the crown race, I kept the old one in place after verifying the new bearings would fit into the lower cup, and used a rubber seal from the new one.

For the top cup, again I found that the bearing race fitted perfectly, so used that along with the top cap, plastic wedge etc from the old headset. I packed both cups with lithium grease after cleaning the cups out.

It all fitted together very well, and I adjusted the play out of it to prevent notchiness in the steering.

The proof is in the pudding, and I commuted on it for the first time today. I’d also cut through the lock keeping the old saddle in place, so I could fit my old Selle Royale Respiro that I had on the Dawg Primo.

The bike is very close to being nailed now.. just the seat height and angle to tweak.

I even managed 14 Strava trophies, including four PBs over the 7.4 mile distance, result!

Headset installation

The last part (hopefully) needed for the Fire Mountain is a new headset. The other one has various disintegrated seals, very old grease, and is generally looking very sorry for itself.

Bought a new one from Halfords – a £15.99 special – but I have no tools to fit it. I’d seen a YouTube video by RJ The Bike Guy where he used a ghetto headset press, and realised the things are for sale, ready made, on EBay. These comprise a threaded rod with large washers, with nuts at each end that are turned with a spanner, to push each part of the headset (individually) onto the frame.

So I bought one of those at £7, due for delivery tomorrow.

In terms of the crown race, I have some plastic pipe, also used by RJ, to push the race on to the fork, and will remove the old one using a screwdriver.