Month: February 2017

Sunday ride

No time for a proper distance ride this weekend, which was a bit of a git, but the weather wasn’t exactly inviting.

I took the opportunity to make a few adjustments to the Kona Kitsune though.

Firstly, I’ve been suffering from soreness in my upper back on longer rides.

In general, the fit of the Kitsune feels perfect for me. One issue however, is that because the reach is longer than my Dawg and Fire Mountain, my head is not at a good angle for looking ahead down the trail when I keep my back straight.

The peak angle / height on on my Lazer helmet exacerbates this issue (there was no issue when riding my Dawg), as it obscures my line of sight, necessitating more of a bend in the neck.

I’d noticed that the stem angle of the bike was almost horizontal when I unboxed it, but had left as it was. So I took the opportunity today to flip the stem, angling it upwards. This should mean that I’m not leaning down so much. Next step will be a shorter, steeper stem.

I torqued the stem bolts up to their recommended torques after making this change.

When doing this, tighten bolts as evenly as possible, working on bolts diagonally opposite each other rather than next to each other. Don’t tighten one fully before moving on to the next as this will make the loads on each bolt uneven.

Next, I completely loosened off the crank bolts on the crankset, and re-tightened them, again to recommended torques and tightening each one bit by bit, rather than one fully and then the next.

After doing this I went for a quick spin along to Worthing and back.. a pitiful total of 6.5 miles, with the outward leg being against 20+ mph winds.. not that enjoyable! Good to stretch the legs though.

Hopefully, next weekend will see a chance for an epic ride, incorporating some new Stamner Park trails.

Advertisements

Raleigh Wildcat test ride

Took the Raleigh out for a test run on Saturday afternoon, riding up and down the road opposite my house to test shifting and braking.
Shifting is, I think, as good as it’ll get. The limit screws are perfectly set, but I am yet to achieve perfection with the indexing.

Braking, on the other hand, is superb.. it was easy to lock the back wheel, despite my 110kg frame, so I feel happy to unleash it on the gf.

There is a slight play in the back wheel that needs sorting, but that doesn’t affect riding. I also want to service the headset; still not done yet, but it is very smooth anyway.

Commute home

.. was,  as predicted, a different story.. 10.6mph average, and took 42 mins. Avoided riding today, due to the 60mph winds forecast!

Epic commute..

Had an absolute blast to work this morning on the Fire Mountain. Average of 18.3mph over 7.4 miles, max speed of 29.8, and 29 Strava trophies including a PB on all but three sections. Not bad considering it’s not an out-and-out speed machine. That was with a 20mph tailwind (hehe), and I think I’ll be making up for it on the way home – 40mph+ headwind from 18:00! Ouch. Pretty good reason to leave work on time, methinks!