Monthly Riding Distances

Recording more for myself really, so I know where to find the data.

Dec 2016 – 122 miles / 197 km

Jan 2017 – 151 miles / 244 km

Feb 2017 – 193 miles / 311 km

Seems logical to aim for 250 miles in March 🙂

March – didn’t record the figure – several weekends out of action due to bad neck / subsequent chiro sessions)

April – 152 miles (very little commuting / stinking cold.. grrr)

May – 144m / 232km

Saturday seafront pootle

After a two hour break during which I washed the Kitsune off after the Downs / Stamner ride, B and I went for a ride along the seafront, with B riding the newly sorted Wildcat.

This was her first ride in well over ten years, so we took it pretty easy, making it a 3.6 miler in total, along to the end of the Lancing prom (just past the gym) and back.

Good fun – she wants to go again! I’m not sure she’ll convince me to get on her horse as easily though 😃

Saturday off-roading 

Planned a ride with D on Sat, with the plan being to ride to the Beacon along the South Downs Way, and then down to Stamner for some Singletrack action.

It was D’s first ride in a while, so rather than coming down to Shoreham, we agreed to meet at Clayton Hill, which was less faff and a larger proportion of flat for him.

That left me riding from Shoreham along the SDW to get to Clayton for 10:00.. about ten miles.

 I left with an hour and ten minutes to get there, so rode up Mill Hill and then Truleigh Hill to get some fast miles under the belt (faster than the ridiculous slog up hill from the DLT junction with the SDW, anyway).

I cursed myself for mentioning the fact that it was starting to dry up on this stretch.. a week of pretty consistent rain left it an absolute quagmire again.

Got to the Dyke in around 40 mins, with an average still (just) above 10mph. The ride up from Saddlescombe Farm was a nightmare; just no traction to be had. So I pushed up through the glade and then up the rest of the hill until I could find some decent traction for pedalling.

Got to Clayton ten mins late, having pretty much gunned it. We rode to the Beacon from there, and then down the Beacon road to the entrance to the woods that I’ve been using.

It was slow going through the Singletrack, the lack of traction caused by the rain exacerbated by the mud turning both tyres into 3″ wide slicks!

Normally the first section of Singletrack brings me swooping out on to the main fireroad that goes through the middle of the Singletrack, but on this occasion, I managed to get us lost, and the gate you emerge from to look down on to Stamner House to the right, didn’t materialise. Oops.

We did stumble across a big concrete pond though, which I think I’ve seen referenced in forums before. 

We found our way back on to the Fire road and rode back up it, finding the Beacon road eventually, then riding back to Clayton over the SDW.

We parted company there, with D reversing his outward journey, and me deciding, due to the quagmire that was the bridleway running alongside Brendan’s Saddlery, to ride down the A23. I then rode up the Brighton Mill Hill, and back home through Hove.

Distance: 34 miles 

Avg: 8.7mph (including Strava auto-pauses)

Max: 30.9

Elevation gain: 2,576ft

Strava Tropies: 47 inc. 16 PBs 

A great ride, can’t wait for it to dry out, especially at Stamner!

Sunday ride

No time for a proper distance ride this weekend, which was a bit of a git, but the weather wasn’t exactly inviting.

I took the opportunity to make a few adjustments to the Kona Kitsune though.

Firstly, I’ve been suffering from soreness in my upper back on longer rides.

In general, the fit of the Kitsune feels perfect for me. One issue however, is that because the reach is longer than my Dawg and Fire Mountain, my head is not at a good angle for looking ahead down the trail when I keep my back straight.

The peak angle / height on on my Lazer helmet exacerbates this issue (there was no issue when riding my Dawg), as it obscures my line of sight, necessitating more of a bend in the neck.

I’d noticed that the stem angle of the bike was almost horizontal when I unboxed it, but had left as it was. So I took the opportunity today to flip the stem, angling it upwards. This should mean that I’m not leaning down so much. Next step will be a shorter, steeper stem.

I torqued the stem bolts up to their recommended torques after making this change.

When doing this, tighten bolts as evenly as possible, working on bolts diagonally opposite each other rather than next to each other. Don’t tighten one fully before moving on to the next as this will make the loads on each bolt uneven.

Next, I completely loosened off the crank bolts on the crankset, and re-tightened them, again to recommended torques and tightening each one bit by bit, rather than one fully and then the next.

After doing this I went for a quick spin along to Worthing and back.. a pitiful total of 6.5 miles, with the outward leg being against 20+ mph winds.. not that enjoyable! Good to stretch the legs though.

Hopefully, next weekend will see a chance for an epic ride, incorporating some new Stamner Park trails.