I didn’t get to work on the Wildcat on Sunday as the Stamner Ride and subsequent bike cleaning took longer than expected.
So I’ve spent a couple of hours on it a few nights this week. I’ve now:
- Fully replaced the brakes – arms, levers, cables
- Removed the panniers (although the thread was ‘screwed’ on one of the bolts so I ended up snapping the head off, once I’d extracted it sufficiently using my new mole grips.. need to file it down now)
- Indexed the gears (well, the rears, anyway.. the fronts are friction shift
Still on the list:
- Buy and fit new chain
- Remove the struts for the panniers – these are about four inches long, and have the stuck screw problem that I’ve experienced all over the bike, despite a liberal soaking with GT85.
- New gear inners and outers
- Strip and refurb the pedals
- Final PDI
- Road test
Cost so far is:
- Bike – £20
- Brakes – £8 (EBay)
- Cider vinegar – £4
The cost of tools I’ve purchased in the course of this aren’t included, since I’ll be using those hopefully for many years to come.
New brake components: